|4||teaspoons fish sauce|
|1/2||teaspoon||ground dried chili pepper|
|1/2||package||Thai rice noodles|
- Soak the dry noodles in lukewarm water while preparing the other ingredients, for 5-10 minutes.
- Rinse the bean sprouts and save half for serving fresh. Mince shallot and garlic together.
- Use a wok. If you do not have a wok, any big pot will do. Heat it up on high heat and pour oil in the wok.
- Fry the peanuts until toasted and remove them from the wok. Add shallot, garlic and tofu and stir them until they start to brown.
- The noodles should be flexible but not expanded at this point. Drain the noodles and add to the wok. Stir quickly to keep things from sticking.
- Add tamarind, sugar, fish sauce, and chili pepper. Stir.
- The heat should remain high. If your wok is not hot enough, you will see a lot of juice in the wok at this point. Turn up the heat, if it is the case.
- Make room for the egg by pushing all noodles to the side of the wok. Crack the egg onto the wok and scramble it until it is almost all cooked.
- Fold the egg into the noodles. Add shrimp and stir. Add bean sprouts, chives. Stir a few more times. The noodles should be soft and very tangled.
- Pour onto the serving plate and sprinkle with peanuts.